Behind the Scenes: Revamping the Campus Newspaper

Tower editors and contributors gather for a meeting in the Commons.

About two years ago, I developed a love for writing. So, when offered an executive position on The Tower, Arcadia’s revamped newspaper, it made perfect sense to accept—I’d be an idiot not to, right?

We began working on the paper at the beginning of the semester—guns blazing, putting it lightly. From getting to know the other executive members to recruiting potential writers to editing hundreds of articles (maybe not that many, but you get my point), sleep soon became a Godsend—my roommates practically have to tear me out of my bed while I kick and scream. Okay, I’ll stop with the exaggerations, I promise.

Complaints set aside (complaining just comes so naturally to me, I apologize), I really do enjoy being involved in this campus organization. The amount of skills I am learning, the number of people I have forged friendships with, and the sense of purpose undoubtedly trump the stress. Not to mention, the experience with a college newspaper is something employers (in my field of interest) are looking for.

The past two weeks have been the most exciting time for me regarding The Tower. We have been (and still are) prepping for our official launch of our first edition. As the executive board, a couple editors and I were introduced to the program responsible for the layout of the print copy of the paper. We also had a glimpse of The Tower’s website—a supplement to the physical paper—which is shaping up to be very impressive.

So, amid the last minute hustle-and-bustle, the excitement (and sleep deprivation, of course) of the team is at an all-time high. Our goal is to give our audience something different yet palatable. We want The Tower to be original and fun. We want it to reflect the students. We want it to reflect Arcadia.

It is definitely safe to say that the story is far from over, so expect more updates as the semester—and the paper—progresses.