Crayons = The Teachers of Patience

What’s the best part of being a photographer for the University? I get to see all the unique events on campus and capture those moments for the community to see.

Recently, I was assigned to cover a lecture on education and child development. As a student mostly involved in the sciences and business, I’ve never actually been exposed to much of the scene with secondary education. However, I was able to photograph educator and Arcadia alumna Naomi Black, who was on campus discussing how small efforts and sustaining traditional teaching practices can benefit students.

With so many changes in technology, education is moving towards quicker lessons and less interaction. Mrs. Black emphasized that children can learn so much from the most basic activities in class. An example she gave was about the transition from using crayons to markers. When I was young (I can’t believe I’m old enough to say that now), we used crayons to draw, color, and scribble on paper. Naomi mentioned how the use of a crayon can teach children about patience and that one line won’t fill the entire paper. With crayons, you had to press hard and repeat layers over layers so it would look perfect. In today’s classrooms, children use markers which require minimal effort and provide instant gratification.

Her lecture really made me think and appreciate how vital the role of an educator is. I learned so much from that day and I was able to come out with a lot of great shots! She’s a wonderful educator and woman. These small assignments always remind me how much I love being a University photographer, and I can proudly say that I love my job.