Best Friends

Long Distance Friendships

This past weekend, I went to Rutgers to have a reunion with some of my friends from high school. I got to see four of my best friends and a bunch of other close friends that I haven’t seen since I went away at the end of the summer. It was so great to see them, but also it made me realize how much I had missed them. I knew that I had missed them, but seeing them there, right in front of me, had put it into a new perspective.

As it was Halloween weekend, there were plenty of parties to go to. Friday and Saturday night we spent hours getting our costumes together and doing each other’s make-up. We had a lot of fun at the parties, but my favorite memories don’t involve a packed room full of people dancing and talking and kissing.

My favorite memories from the weekend are of us sitting in my friend’s dorm room, laughing and talking, just like old times. You would think that after not seeing them for three months, there would been some awkwardness or distance that wasn’t there before, but there was no distance. It was like no time had passed. We fell right back into easy jokes and the complete security that only best friends can give you.

Going to college can be hard because you leave all your friends (and your safety net) behind and go out on your own. Everyone is apart and new friendships develop, and without even trying, old friends are forgotten. Everyone says that they will keep in touch, but most don’t actually do that. You have to work to stay in touch with your friends. You choose which ones you want to keep, and which ones just aren’t worth the effort. I am so glad that we have been able to remain so close, and make new friends at each of our respective schools.

Sunday came too fast, and I had to re-enter the real world. It was so hard to leave, knowing that I might not see my friends again until Thanksgiving break, but I know that we will be just fine. I know that our friendship is strong enough to withstand the distance, and that when we do see each other again, we will be even better than before.