For the Love of Running: My First Strides

And here you have it: my first steps (literally) to running my first marathon.

On Tuesday morning, I got myself up at the ridiculously early hour—which for college students is 9:00—and I went out for a run.

I have not consistently run since last May. I had tried over the summer and in the beginning of the school year, but both times it just didn’t work out. I wasn’t enjoying the run, it was work, and I didn’t need more work in my life.

But recently I have missed consistent exercise and running. I missed the way the wind whipped my ponytail back and forth as I jogged around on an easy day. I missed the feeling of accomplishment I felt from completing a particularly hard run. I missed the sore feeling in my legs the day after a good workout. I missed running.

And then I volunteered at the Philadelphia Marathon, and I realized that that was also what I missed. I missed the excitement before the race. I missed the camaraderie that runners always feel for one another. So it was that day that I decided that I was going to start running again.

So that’s how I found myself dressed and outside on Tuesday morning. As I ran around Arcadia’s campus, there were plenty of people coming and going to their classes. They had no idea who I was, or why I was running. They had no idea that I was enjoying running so much, even though I was terribly out of shape and I thought that I was going to throw up.

I’m going to try and run Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I am really going to try hard because now I have a goal, and I am motivated to finish it. So if you see me running, don’t just stare at me as a go by you. Give me a smile, a wave, or say hey. I’ll really appreciate it, and I’ll probably need it.

Photo by Christina Yee ’14