Photos from a Semester in Turkey

None of my previous trips could have prepared me for the places I visited and the things I saw in my travels during my semester abroad in Istanbul, Turkey. I took thousands of photos with both my analog and digital cameras during my four months in Istanbul and many weekend and day trips around Turkey as well as trips to the Greek island of Kos, numerous cities in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia, and the Georgian capital of Tbilisi. The following is a collection of some of my favorites from all of my travels around Turkey and in the city of Istanbul.

My very first morning in Istanbul, on our street in the neighborhood of Cihangir. - September 2012

My very first morning in Istanbul, on our street in the neighborhood of Cihangir. – September 2012

A view of the Fatih neighborhood of Istanbul from the library of Kadir Has University. - September 2012

A view of the Fatih neighborhood of Istanbul from the library of Kadir Has University. – September 2012

A small sample of the thousands of water pipes (Turkish: nargile) for sale in Istanbul’s centuries old Spice Bazaar (Mısır Çarşısı). – September 2012

These rusty old stairs lead down to the Bosphorus Strait, which divides the city of Istanbul and the European and Asian continents and connects the Black Sea to the Sea of Marmara. – September 2012

Inside the amphitheater of the Rumelihisarı fortress on the banks of the Bosphorus. – September 2012

A house dating from the late nineteenth century on the island of Büyükada, the largest of the Princes’ Islands in the Sea of Marmara, just south of Istanbul. - September 2012

A house dating from the late nineteenth century on the island of Büyükada, the largest of the Princes’ Islands in the Sea of Marmara, just south of Istanbul. – September 2012

One morning my three flatmates and I awoke at 4:30 a.m. to drive with the Arcadia program director to the Gallipoli Peninsula, some two hundred miles away. We stopped outside of the city just as the sun came up. - September 2012

One morning my three flatmates and I awoke at 4:30 a.m. to drive with the Arcadia program director to the Gallipoli Peninsula, some two hundred miles away. We stopped outside of the city just as the sun came up. – September 2012

At the very tip of the Gallipoli Peninsula, where the Sea of Marmara meets the Aegean Sea, sat this rickety old dock, in the most pristine, turquoise water I have ever seen. - September 2012

At the very tip of the Gallipoli Peninsula, where the Sea of Marmara meets the Aegean Sea, sat this rickety old dock, in the most pristine, turquoise water I have ever seen. – September 2012

Helen, my flatmate, and I found this Turkish Spiderman amongst the docks of the Turkish city of Bodrum, on the Aegean Sea. - October 2012

Helen, my flatmate, and I found this Turkish Spiderman amongst the docks of the Turkish city of Bodrum, on the Aegean Sea. – October 2012

I did a double take when I spotted these two twins selling spices, candy, and nuts for sale at a market in the village of Selçuk, near the ancient Greco-Roman city of Ephesus. - October 2012

I did a double take when I spotted these two twins selling spices, candy, and nuts at a market in the village of Selçuk, near the ancient Greco-Roman city of Ephesus. – October 2012

These are cave houses on a grey day in Kapadokya, in Central Anatolia, the heart of Turkey. Inhabitants of Kapadokya have carved cave houses into the mountains of soft sandstonefor thousands of years. We even got the opportunity to tour an underground cave city, which stretches eleven stories below ground in solid rock. The city is comprised ofchurches, stables, classrooms, and huge kitchens. - November 2012

These are cave houses on a grey day in Kapadokya, in Central Anatolia, the heart of Turkey. Inhabitants of Kapadokya have carved cave houses into the mountains of soft sandstone for thousands of years. We even got the opportunity to tour an underground cave city, which stretches eleven stories below ground in solid rock. The city is comprised of churches, stables, classrooms, and huge kitchens. – November 2012

12

More cave houses in Kapadokya, Central Anatolia.

13

Another view of the cave houses in Kapadokya, Central Anatolia.

14

In the distance, cave houses in Kapadokya, Central Anatolia.

The Hagia Sophia in Sultanhamet. This massive building was originally constructed as the Greek Orthodox patriarchal basilica, later converted into a mosque following the Ottoman conquest of the city in the 1400’s, and finally declared a museum by President Mustafa Kemal Atatürk in 1935. - December 2012

The Hagia Sophia in Sultanhamet. This massive building was originally constructed as the Greek Orthodox patriarchal basilica, later converted into a mosque following the Ottoman conquest of the city in the 1400’s, and finally declared a museum by President Mustafa Kemal Atatürk in 1935. – December 2012

The Hippodrome of Constantinople, in Sultanhamet, the old town of Istanbul. On the left are two minarets of the Hagia Sophia and on the right a 3,500 year old ancient Egyptian obelisk, a gift from Theodosius the Great. - December 2012

The Hippodrome of Constantinople, in Sultanhamet, the old town of Istanbul. On the left are two minarets of the Hagia Sophia and on the right a 3,500 year old ancient Egyptian obelisk, a gift from Theodosius the Great. – December 2012

Fishermen on Galata Bridge in Istanbul. Fishermen line nearly every bridge crossing the Golden Horn, a channel that extends west from the Bosphorus Strait into the European side of the city, and fill their buckets with small, sardine-like fish. - September 2012

Fishermen on Galata Bridge in Istanbul. Fishermen line nearly every bridge crossing the Golden Horn, a channel that extends west from the Bosphorus Strait into the European side of the city, and fill their buckets with small, sardine-like fish. – September 2012

These photos were taken in a remote village near the Black Sea, north of Istanbul. I was with a group of new friends on our way to hike in the mountains whenwe stopped in this beautiful tiny village to have some breakfast. After eating, a few of us walked down some of the quaint streets and discovered lots of beautiful homes in the lush countryside, as well as very kind farmers who invited us into their fields to pick apples from the trees in their orchards. It was one of my first experiences in Turkey, and certainly not one I will ever forget. - September 2012

These photos were taken in a remote village near the Black Sea, north of Istanbul. I was with a group of new friends on our way to hike in the mountains when we stopped in this beautiful tiny village to have some breakfast. After eating, a few of us walked down some of the quaint streets and discovered lots of beautiful homes in the lush countryside, as well as very kind farmers who invited us into their fields to pick apples from the trees in their orchards. It was one of my first experiences in Turkey, and certainly not one I will ever forget. – September 2012

20

A home in remote village north of Istanbul by the Black Sea.

19

Dog in remote village north of Istanbul by the Black Sea.

These last two were shot in Sile, on the Black Sea. Green mountains stretched around the tiny seaside town and met the blue-green sea (apparently the sea is only really black in the winter, but we didn’t mind the surprise!). Swimming in the sea was the perfect way to end the long day, and this was by far one of my favorite trips that I took while in Turkey. - September 2012

These last two were shot in Sile, on the Black Sea. Green mountains stretched around the tiny seaside town and met the blue-green sea (apparently the sea is only really black in the winter, but we didn’t mind the surprise!). Swimming in the sea was the perfect way to end the long day, and this was by far one of my favorite trips that I took while in Turkey. – September 2012

22

Sile, on the Black Sea.