Meeting up with friends from Hawaii in New York City.

Reuniting with Friends from Hawaii

I had never used public transportation alone until this Thanksgiving Break. Fortunately for me, my break was packed with a lot of adventure and YOLO-ing. In my case, YOLO-ing meant taking a last minute weekend trip to New York City with no set plan on how I was getting back to campus until the night before I had to return. YOLO (You Only Live Once) seemed to be the main theme of my entire trip.

It all began with my last-minute Greyhound bus ticket purchase to Boston, Mass. I got to visit my grandparents on my father’s side of the family with an amazing Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt’s house in Cape Cod. There was the traditional turkey, homemade stuffing, and cranberry sauce, as well as Italian pasta to complete the dinner of an Italian family. It was nice to have a home-cooked meal for the first time in a long time. This was a dream holiday for girl from Hawaii.

Times Square.

Times Square.

I can still remember the previous Thanksgiving dinner: My dad was on a strict diet and forbid any type of processed food. That was at the time when he was still able to tolerate having chicken or turkey in the house. He didn’t want to eat the processed bread used to create stuffing, so we had to substitute it with quinoa.

But overall, what I had been most looking forward to was meeting a couple of my old friends from Hawaii in New York City. I had bought my bus ticket from Massachusetts to NYC on the same day I left for Boston. The weekend in New York had been nothing but fun. We ice skated, window shopped, and ate lots of food.

In the beginning, I didn’t really know how I was going to get back to Arcadia. Eventually, I figured out the public transportation system and navigated my way using Google Maps. I was amazed at how far $30 could get me.

If only it was that cheap to travel to Hawaii.