photo (11)

Texan Sees Snow, Frolicking Ensues

I was singing in church on Sunday morning when I glanced out a window and thought I saw something falling. Could it be? I could hardly focus on the rest of the songs, and as soon as we were dismissed, my friends and I burst outside, where my assumptions were confirmed: snow.

It had already started gathering rapidly on cars, trees, and every other surface really. I touched the white fluff and smiled at its softness, and then quickly wiped it off as I felt a cold sensation.

The lace-up snow boots my grandmother gave me.

Over Thanksgiving break, my grandmother had been very excited to give me my very own snow boots for the cold days ahead. I was worried that the gift was premature, that snow in Glenside was just a thing of lore. As soon as we returned to campus from church, I dashed to my room to grab those boots and the rest of my winter gear. Clad in my winter boots, layered pants, and a fur-hooded coat, I ventured out to experience this white world of legend.

The water feature by Easton Café.

The water feature by Easton Café.

My friends and I stayed outside for close to two hours (classes were canceled) snapping lots of pictures and taking it all in. We made a pit stop at the Castle to warm up a bit and look at the seasonal decorations. One thing I didn’t really think about was that when you spend so much time in falling snow, it tends to gather on top of your hood. So when I pulled off my hood on the Castle staircase, I made quite a mess of snow on the fancy carpet. I think I got a couple of looks, but I apologized and continued up toward the giant Christmas tree on the first landing, making a mental note to pull my hood off before entering buildings.

The Christmas tree in the Castle.

The Christmas tree in the Castle.

The snow lasted a couple days and in that time I was able to frolic to my heart’s content, slide like Michael Jackson down slick sidewalks, throw my first snowball (and get hit by my first one as well), build my first snowman (it’s a lot harder than it looks!), and make my first snow angel.

I had only ever seen snow in movies and had read about it in books, so I was happy to finally see it for myself. Some will try and tell you what a bother it is, but I’m choosing to stick to legend: Snow brings happiness and really sets you in the mood for the holiday spirit.

While I enjoyed the experience immensely, I will say that I am forever grateful for heated buildings and—above all—hot chocolate with friends.