ldn-magazine

The Making of ‘LDN. Magazine’

This semester I made a magazine.

As a Global Media student, I had the great opportunity to take the Magazine Project course while studying abroad at the University of Westminster. This practice-based class gives students the knowledge and skills to create their own magazine.

My classmate Sam approached me with an idea for a magazine along the same vein as the blog Humans of New York (HONY). Since I was a huge fan of HONY, I jumped onto the bandwagon. We pitched our idea to the class and within a month we formed an editorial team and I had earned the position of Culture Editor at LDN. Magazine.

LDN. Magazine is a London-based publication that focuses on regular people and how their personal stories map the London landscape. If the magazine could be described in three words it would be: visual, underground, and interesting. Our mission is to document the city through the eyes of Londoners.

The main challenge for me was learning the computer program InDesign. Unlike the other students in class, I had never used InDesign before. Placing columns, grids, and pictures was easy. The hardest part was creating a stunning design. I spent hours in the library looking at magazines, searching for the right layout design for my pieces. I looked through Vogue, National Geographic, and Dazed and Confused along with old magazines such as Life and Picture Post.

Five flat plans, three dummies, 84 hours of InDesign, and hundreds of edits later, LDN. Magazine launched.

The magazine features several stories including a forgotten Portugal Idol turned busker, a photographer who uses milk as clothing on models, and an inside look into a circus-inspired nightclub. I wrote, photographed, and created three pieces in the magazine. My feature is Mapping London. To complete the project I interviewed more than 50 Londoners and asked them to fill out a blank map of London with a personal place.

For the second article, I wrote about weird products I found at Camden Market. London is filled with street markets, where vendors sell all kinds of cool things, from hand-painted t-shirts to umbrellas that look like alcohol bottles. Along with my articles, I wrote three mini profiles in HONY style. I photographed Londoners on the street and wrote a tiny caption about them.

It’s remarkable to know that I was a part of the creation of more than 50 pages of pure magazine goodness. Now, I just have to figure how much glossy printing costs.