Do You Like Green Eggs and Ham?

Do you like
green eggs and ham?

I do not like them, Sam-I-am.
I do not like
green eggs and ham.

Would you like them
here or there?

I would not like them
here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.

I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am

As she finished reading an excerpt of Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss, Dean of Graduate and Undergraduate Studies Nancy Rosoff encouraged the students gathered around to take risks and remain open to all possibilities, unlike the character in the classic children’s book. Dean Rosoff explained that opportunity can come in many unexpected forms, before introducing panelists who would lead a discussion about leadership and mentorship.

In January, I was fortunate enough to speak on the panel, which gave me a chance to talk to current students about opportunities to get involved in a leadership capacity on campus. From welcoming first-year students as an Orientation Leader to sitting on the Board of Trustees, this diverse panel offered relatable anecdotes and gave insightful advice. Attending the event was a great way for students to learn about all of the organizations on campus while also being able to talk to established leaders about their past challenges. Specifically, the panel spoke on the importance of passion, communication, networking, and shared vision within any group or organization. We also discussed how we stayed organized and made sure that we kept personal time in our busy schedules. One personal story that I shared with the group sprung from one of my Honors courses, “Exploration in Leadership.” Throughout this course we analyzed leadership theory and our own style of leadership. In class one day we had to create a personal mission statement, a brief yet very specific declaration of our intended life goals and purpose.

While speaking on the panel, I explained that at that point in time I felt lost. I knew I enjoyed studying biology and chemistry, but I had no idea where it would take me. This is where I was able to add the importance of good mentors to the panel discussion. The faculty and staff at Arcadia pulled me through that troubling time and offered me many opportunities to discover and refine my passions. This included faculty and staff from the Biology and Chemistry departments, the Honors Program, and even Enrollment Management, which is in charge of admissions on campus and is where I worked an on-campus job. Perhaps the most important opportunity was my internship at a vineyard in Australia, an experience that was largely set up and organized by Arcadia’s staff. Arcadia is the kind of place that makes you feel like you’re always supported, like you are home, and because of that, I felt ready to take risks and try things way beyond my comfort zone. Check out my upcoming posts for more information on my internship in Australia.