Laptop in a Cafe

How an Email Helped Me Choose a Major

Who would have thought that the simple act of checking my email would have led me to my major?

One night during orientation week, I came across an ad for student writers to join a university blog focused on getting word out about all the great things that make Arcadia more than just that school with a castle.

My fingers practically itched with excitement as I churned out my very first post and joined the staff. The more I wrote for Because Arcadia, the more I remembered just how much I missed writing creatively. Don’t get me wrong, as an English major I write all the time and love it; however, most of my assignments tend to deal more with rhetoric and analysis than with simile and sensory details. The fact is, you don’t get too many olfactory descriptions in an annotated bibliography on Frankenstein.

So I studied hard and the more people I met on campus, the more I began to hear about this thing called the English major with a concentration in creative writing. Intrigued, I started asking questions. What was it? What did it entail? And how did one get in? Were there prerequisites participants had to endure in order to get involved?

Some classmates of mine gladly informed me that the concentration was just another major, like biology or scientific illustration, and all I had to do to become a part of it was to sit down with my advisor.

Excited, I made the necessary appointments, filled out the paperwork, and pretty soon I was welcomed into the creative writing major! How easy was that?!

I start my writing courses in the fall and cannot wait to meet the other aspiring writers in the group. We have so much to learn from each other. I am still surprised that my fun, part-time college job helped me figure out what I want to do with a degree in English after graduation day, but I’m not complaining. I look forward to developing my understanding of the creative writing world during my next year here at Arcadia.

Photo by Pierre Lecourt