Honors Council Executive

On the Shoulders of Giants

It would be easy to boil down my time at Arcadia into a list of accomplishments and coursework. Although it is sometimes necessary to do so, my experiences here have been so much more than a list. My experience is actually nicely summed up in the Arcadia Promise. I have truly had a “distinctively global, integrative, and personal learning experience.”

Before beginning at Arcadia I had only traveled on a plane once before and had never been abroad. That quickly changed as I headed to Scotland in fall 2010 as part of the FYSAE program… and again in 2012 with the Sydney summer internship. Although unexpected, and unplanned initially, my experiences abroad have given me a global perspective and understanding of the world we live in. Living (and studying) abroad takes you outside the realm or tourism and allows you to observe a different culture and way of life. I have been able to take these amazing experiences and apply them toward experiences in Philadelphia through my Yards Brewing Company internship and around the United States at local and nationwide conferences.

Presenting my research on Thesis Day.

Presenting my research on Thesis Day.

Despite being a biology and chemistry double major, I also have been lucky enough to plan events on campus including the Rocky Horror Picture Show, TEDx ArcadiaUniversity, AU Stop Hunger Games, and so many more. My well rounded liberal arts education has allowed an integrative and unique experience. If I were stuck in a strictly scientific curriculum I would not have been able to plan events and activities on campus. Although running around in fishnets and heels may not seem like a major moment during my undergraduate career, it allowed for further experiential learning. These programs are where I trained and learned the importance of professional level communication, networking, and organization.

Me and my advisers, Dr. Linda Mascavage (left) and Professor Helene Klein (right)

When thinking about coming to college class size was a huge deal. I knew that I didn’t want to be a number in a huge lecture theater. Arcadia has consistently proven its promise to a personal learning experience with its passionate faculty and staff. If it were not for members of Arcadia community like Helene Klein (of the Honors Program) and Linda Mascavage (of the Chemistry and Physics Department), I can comfortably say that I would not have found my passion as easily or successfully. There have been so many levels of support and encouragement that it is going to be quite difficult to leave. Luckily, while I have been here I have been able to “stand on the shoulders of giants,” as Isaac Newton explains, allowing me to see and learn much more than I would have on my own.