300x225Redden---Landman-Library

Finding My Place at Arcadia University

Spending time in Landman Library.

Spending time in Landman Library.

This past summer I had the opportunity to spend time on Arcadia’s great campus working in Landman Library. There was a lot of work to do, shelving thousands of books. Even though there were friendly flocks of students studying for summer classes, each day was pretty serene. I had plenty of downtime for reading, networking, organizing, and talking to students on campus. While working in the library, I had the chance to talk to upperclassmen about their experiences on campus and what they had done during their years at Arcadia. During the slower times at work, I heard stories about students traveling to three or more countries in a semester, creating their own clubs, and making an impact on someone or contributing to something. I realized I wanted more out of my time here at Arcadia.

It dawned on me that I was not involved in the community, programs, activities, and planning as I would like to have been last year. While I did enjoy my first year, there were so many opportunities that I passed up. I could have become more involved with organizations, done community service, or attended sporting events.  This year I want to focus on developing my skills. Here at Arcadia, I see so many students in leadership positions, playing sports, or otherwise finding their niche. I believe this year it is my turn to do the same.

This being my sophomore year, I want to involve myself in at least three organizations, programs, or tasks. I have decided to start improving my leadership skills. I want to attend Arcadia sponsored career events such as Linked In: Facebook for Professionals or the Professional Destinations Expo. Also, I plan to commit myself to I.M.P.A.C.T. (Intelligent Men-of -Color Purposefully Accomplishing College Together). The mission of the program is to increase the retention and graduation rates of young men of color in secondary and post-secondary levels of education. My first step towards leadership in I.M.P.A.C.T was becoming Treasurer. Finally, I want to become a more active member of P.O.W.E.R., which is a program that provides a sisterhood, service, and equality for minority women. I will be getting into more depth about these organizations in my upcoming posts (stay tuned!).

The summer helped me generate a plan to reach my goals this school year. Now I want to understand, develop, and improve my leadership skills both on and off campus.  So, my goal this semester is to identify and discover my leadership abilities and look to my mentors, peers, and family to help and guide me.