Jessica's photography equipment.

Paid to Do What You Love

Not only are art and math big parts of my academic life, but I’ve also found opportunities to pursue these interests outside of the classroom through on-campus jobs. As I’ve mentioned before I’m a photographer for the Office of University Communications and also a tutor working in the Math and Computer Science Tutoring Lab in Boyer Hall. These jobs, both of which I started last semester, are very different from each other, but both have opened up opportunities for me at Arcadia.

Photography has been a hobby of mine since I was a child. Even before I knew all the intricacies of my first DSLR camera, I was taking pictures of my toys in scenes that I had arranged using my family’s point-and-shoot film camera. Working in the Math Lab is also not my first experience with tutoring. All through high school, I volunteered as a tutor at my local public library, helping elementary school students with math, reading, and writing. I worked with the same students on a regular basis and really enjoyed being able to see their progress through the school year. Volunteering was great a learning experience, but it is nice to now get paid for doing the things that I enjoy.

700x467IMG_1639
700x467IMG_2295
312x467IMGP3819
700x467IMGP3819edit

As a photographer, I have a very flexible schedule; I’m assigned to different types of events each week, so my schedule always looks different. But as a tutor I have regular hours each week. Both ways of working have their advantages. Sometimes it’s nice to be surprised by a photo assignment, but it’s also nice to have a consistent schedule I can depend on.

Despite their differences, these jobs have both opened up many opportunities for me. As a photographer I’ve gotten to expand my repertoire. Not only have I done event photography, but I’ve learned how to take portrait shots, experimented with different camera equipment, observed professional photographers, and even been on the other side of the lens as a model. And as I’ve mentioned before, I get paid to go to some really awesome events. Working for Communications also opened up the opportunity for me to write for this blog!

Working in the Math Lab has allowed me to meet other students who love math as much as I do. I get to think about math in new ways while trying to help others understand it and appreciate its intricacies. Understanding math has always come naturally to me, but having to explain to my peers has challenged me and kept me on my toes as well as kept concepts I’ve learned in the past fresh in my mind. Tutoring in the math lab has also given me the opportunity to start working in the Learning Resource Network, where I tutor math as well as other courses I’ve taken at Arcadia.

Both of these jobs have had a great influence on my life at Arcadia these past semesters. Namely, I’ve become more connected with the Arcadia community. When walking through campus it is nice to see familiar faces of students I’ve tutored and people I’ve photographed at events.