Remedies for Mid-semester Stress

Around the halfway point of every semester, I start to get very stressed out. Midterm exams and assignments begin, which means I’m always busy studying and working for my own classes or busy tutoring students who are studying for their exams. On top of that, registration for the next semester starts. And I need to start planning for final projects, papers, and exams as well. With all this going on as well as it being my busiest semester ever, it’s easy to have a panic attack. But during my time at Arcadia I have found some ways to not let the stress get the best of me.

Procrastination (Just a Little)

Sometimes it seems like there is no time in the day, but taking a break helps me clear my head and manage my time better when I do get back to work. One of things I like to do is go for a short walk around Glenside or a drive to get my mind off of things. If the weather is not too bad, I’ll go for a swing on the playground at Glenside Elementary School.

Stress Eating

Having lots of work to do is not an excuse to eat poorly. Possibly as another form of procrastination, I find myself cooking or going out to eat more often when I’m stressed. I like to think I focus better on a full stomach. And even when I’m not too stressed out, I like to get a cupcake at a local bakery to make my day better.

Talking with Friends

For me it seems sometimes, the stress I’ve built up in my head is greater than it should be. Usually when I express my frustrations (whine) to a friend, I realize all the work I have to do is not as unmanageable as I think it is. And talking out loud sometimes helps me verbalize a plan to get everything done.­­

Naps

Whether it’s a 15 minute power nap or an hour-long slumber, I need to get my rest. Even this semester there have been times where I worked throughout the day and then stayed up late and almost didn’t wake up for my morning class or forgot an assignment for another class. Getting a little sleep throughout the day help me stay sharp and on top of things.

Work

Probably the most important thing I’ve learned about dealing with a stressful workload is to actually do my work. I’ve learned firsthand that it is helpful to take a break, but extremely counter-productive to take 10 breaks in a row. I stay focused by writing to-do lists and planning out my days.