Casey-Coen---Headshot

Not Your Normal College Diet

As an 18-year-old girl, there are many things in this world I really like. I really like yoga. I like my bed. I like fresh snow and soft sand and finishing a hard essay. I like massaged kale and raw spinach. I like dogs. But I absolutely hate ramen noodles.

When I was a little girl, I went to a Jewish day school from grade K-5 and I remember we had to keep kosher and eat only kosher foods at lunch. There was a parve (meaning a food which contains neither meat nor dairy and therefore breaks no rules of keeping kosher) equivalent to ramen called Tradition Instant Noodle Soup that everyone would bring to school and make with the hot water dispenser in the back of the cafeteria which doubled as the auditorium in the tiny primary school. I remember thinking it was the “cool” thing to do, so I asked my mom to buy me some and brought it to school one day. I added the water then tried it for the first time… and I hated it. The label said “Chicken Soup Flavor” and yet to me it didn’t taste even remotely like any chicken soup I’d had in the past. From that moment on, I despised anything “instant” (besides Annie’s Organic Macaroni and cheese).

I never have been one to indulge on junk foods. I like pizza but I could go without it, I don’t like Oreos, I hate fast food, I don’t like candy very much (unless it’s chocolate, then we might have to have a chat). My indulgences in college come in a form that is not your average “I’m going to live on crappy food because this is the only time my waistline will allow it”. The way I indulge has more of an affect on my wallet than on my mid section.

I am a food snob—I admit it. Partially because I have an intolerance to a lot of artificial ingredients, but also because I grew up in a house where local produce was really the only produce and my mom sweetened ricotta cheese with vanilla and dark chocolate chips for “dessert.” I live on Greek yogurt and cereal and Honeycrisp apples and whole wheat banana bread—Hello, my name is Casey, and I spend too much money on my groceries—but let me tell you, it is worth every penny.

My favorite expensive grocery items include:

Yogurt

Greek Pastures Vanilla and Caramel yogurt

Specifically, Greek Pastures vanilla and caramel yogurt, which is good enough that I would probably bathe in a tub full of the deliciousness, given the opportunity.

Hummus

Casey-Post-1-Spr15-Hummus

All natural, almost-homemade local hummus, because as good as Sabra can be, I like my hummus to taste like it was made in someone’s kitchen.

Fresh Fruit and Vegetables

Casey-Post-1-Spr15-produce

Organic, American produce, because I was raised on homegrown tomatoes, and lived down the road from farms that raised apples and potatoes.

Healthy Snacks

Casey-Post-1-Spr15-Snapea

Snapea Crisps Harvest Snaps: If you have never heard of or tried these, drop everything you are doing, finish reading this post at another time, head straight to the grocery store and buy some to try NOW.

All Natural Juices

Casey-Post-1-Spr15-Blueprint

Blue Print Cleanse juices, because if you’re ever feeling a little… irregular, these will be your best friend and they also taste incredible.

Now, none of these things cost a million dollars. None of them will actually break the bank. There are also many other things that I buy, like store brand almond milk or green tea packets, which are normally priced and will not make me feel like I am burning a hole in my wallet; just like the kid who lives on instant noodles for five days straight probably eats a salad once and while. However, my eating experiences would be far less enjoyable if I didn’t choose to indulge the way that I do. The foods I choose to spend a little more on are what make me feel good and keep me happy at school, thus I don’t feel bad about buying any of them—although perhaps I could stand to buy the yogurts a little bit less often.

Namaste, Arcadia! How will you indulge today?