The Keswick Theatre marquee lights up the street.

No Raining on My Parade

I arrived at the Keswick Theatre soaking wet, freezing cold, and unbelievably excited. Despite the storm clouds outside that continued to rumble as I entered the theatre lobby, I had made it. The rain had dampened everything on me, but it could not dampen my spirits.

Because I was minutes away from seeing Bo Burnham perform new material live, right in front of me on the latest stop of his Make Happy tour!

It has taken me a while to adjust to college life. Living away from home, adjusting to classes, and discovering the balance between work time and personal time has certainly been a struggle for me. But this year, I made myself a challenge: to go out and explore things I normally wouldn’t.

Want to know more about the local community? Request more info.

It’s easy at Arcadia. The campus is near the train station and Philly is only a hop, skip, and a jump away. But even within walking distance, Glenside offers terrific opportunities to explore culture and just have a good time, whether it’s window-shopping outside the cute little shops that line the cobblestone sidewalks or seeing performers like Burnham in the old-fashioned little Keswick Theatre. All you have to do is go out and immerse yourself in it, something I hadn’t been doing. But I was ready to change that.

And so one night as I was logging off my email, I acted on impulse and clicked on an ad for Burnham’s new show. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read that the stand-up comedian would be making a three-night stop in Glenside. Over the years, I have watched Burnham’s material on his YouTube channel, but I’ve never had the chance to see him live. Was this seriously for real?

The tickets I snagged for the seventh row told me yes. I was going to see him live!

The interior of Keswick Theatre.

The interior of Keswick Theatre.

The walk turned out to be more treacherous than I had expected, but Hurricane Joaquin was not about to keep my friend and I home. At last we scaled the last hill on our mile walk into town and the bright lights of the Keswick marquee welcomed us to our destination. Big red letters announced the final night of Bo Burnham’s stay. We scurried inside, hit up the merch table, and bought some new shirts so that we wouldn’t have to sit through the show in our damp clothes. Then we settled in for the show.

Even though the trip there turned out to be a wet adventure, the end result was an amazing night out with a friend, filled with laughter. And now we both have a story to tell about beating back Mother Nature to make it happen. When I got back to my dorm room, I took my slightly soggy ticket out of my pocket and taped it on the wall—a memento of a night I will cherish and a challenge to myself to continue exploring the possibilities outside of my comfort zone.