sugar and frights

Sugar and Frights

Balancing work, home, and school is not easy. If you add having a social life onto the pile, then you could have quite the mess. Now add being a commuter onto that. It can get even messier. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Getting involved on campus doesn’t have to be as big a headache as I just made it sound.

Sometimes, you have to shake it off and get involved. Being a commuter myself, I know what it’s like trying to balance everything life throws my way. Which is why on a recent weekend, I decided to loosen up and get out. Lately, I’ve been getting in-the-know about what’s happening on campus and I’ve stumbled upon some pretty great finds so far.

After looking through the AU newsletter for the week’s upcoming events, I spotted a listing for a double Halloween weekend movie viewing of the “Corpse Bride” and “Zombieland,” plus a cereal bar sponsored by SGO (student government organization).I figured “Why not?”

This was college, and I had vowed to try to experience all it had to offer.

The movies were playing in the Stein Fireplace Lounge in the Commons building. My plan was to get out and mingle and possibly make some new acquaintances, but I know I have a tendency to be a bit shy. So I saw it in my best interest to bring a friend.

I wanted to get there early so we could get some good seats.

Me and my best friend, Ayonna, got to campus 15 minutes ahead of the 8 p.m. start to grab some good seats. At first, not many people showed up, but I think the word got out about the cereal bar. Breakfast for dinner. Who could resist that?

And irresistible, it was. The table was spread with Cheerios, Golden Grahams, and other cereals. But I was more impressed with the candy: gummy worms, candy corn and marshmallows, to name a few in the sweet buffet. Now I had always fantasized about cereal and candy together, but my mom would never have it. But this was college and I had vowed to try to experience all it had to offer. So I piled on multicolored gummy worms on my bowl of Golden Grahams and dug in as the movie started.

The first movie, ”Corpse Bride,” was an animated film about a young man who’s about to get married, but accidentally proposes and marries someone who’s dead. As the movie played, some students snuck in wearing costumes and pajamas, carrying blankets and pillows as they ducked under the screen to avoid blocking the screen.

We chatted with some of the other students and took pictures. It was a nice experience and I was glad I went. By the end of the first movie, though, I was so full from my second and third helping of gummy worms that I decided to head home. Sadly, I didn’t get a chance to watch “Zombieland,” but all in all, my Halloween night was exactly the fun I needed.