Radio station booth at Arcadia University
The Arc Radio, located next to the Dining Hall and the IT Help Desk.

I Heart The Arc

One thing people have in common all around the world is music. I don’t think there is a place in the world without it. Lullabies hummed to sleeping kids in an apartment in New York, a guitar-playing busker singing covers of Stevie Wonder on the streets of Seoul, Spotify playing on your laptop in the library at Arcadia. Music and the ability to share it has been around since the dawn of time, connecting people of all different backgrounds across generations. One of the many mediums of sharing music is the radio. Radio is still the primary means of communication in many countries worldwide. And online radio and podcasts allow listeners to not only search by genre, but also to hear broadcasts uninterrupted and unedited.

Lucky for us, Arcadia is home to The Arc, its own radio station, where we’re able to do just that – broadcast uninhibited. Started in 1988 as WBVR, The Arc is a campus club that welcomes anyone to join and host a one-hour radio show. I immediately joined the club the first semester of my freshman year to do a show with my friend Bryan Mier, now an International Studies senior. In our show, called Maxin’ & Relaxin’, we would rotate “maxing” and “relaxing” with each other, playing music according to our respective vibes. When we joined, the radio club was just being revived by the leaders of the organization and friends Shana Hartzel and Victoria Engle, who were coming back from studying abroad in Australia. Now Bryan and I are president and vice president.

Signed wall at Arc Radio Station

Our infamous signed wall, with decades worth of signatures.

The reason I (and I would guess many others) love the radio so much is that it is a sanctuary. I can hear someone saying , “Really? You just play music; it’s not that deep.” But for me, it is. To be able to go into the studio and play music, just for yourself, is a great feeling. And to look at the reactions of other people, too, especially when they’re feeling your music, is even better. Think of it as your friends liking the music you play when you have the AUX cord. Now do you get me?

It also serves as a reminder of home. Freshman year, I had a friend, Rina, studying here from Ewha Womans University in Korea, the university I went to abroad. She played Korean music on her show on The Arc, and sometimes her friends would tune in from Korea as well. My dad sometimes listens to my show and my mom has been asking me for the longest time to give her the link.

If you’re interested in taking a listen to the radio station and getting more information, check out our website! You can also use the Mixlr audio player below.

The Arc Radio is on Mixlr