My best companions for this degree are lots of critical notes and my Oxford dictionary.

An Ode to the World Changers

I changed my major three times before my first semester at Arcadia University ended. First I was a graphic-design major, before I panicked about the job market and abandoned my artistic pursuits. Then, I became a psychology major since AP Psychology was one of my favorite subjects in high school. But I looked at the schedule of classes for psychology and realized that it would require a lot more neuroscience, lab work, and math than I wanted to involve myself in. Desperate, I turned to sociology. I took two sociology courses my first semester, and thoroughly enjoyed both. But was I meant to be a sociology major?

My family always encouraged me to study hard sciences, math, and languages for more job opportunities and pay. I learned in middle school that this path was definitely not meant for me. Ironically, even as I pursued my artistic interests like graphic design and writing, I always looked down on academic disciplines that didn’t involve these three subjects. It’s been drilled into our minds for so long that STEM fields are the only path to success that I had to wonder: Would I be considered a failure if I took a different path such as sociology, more of an objective discipline than one based on hard fact?

The answer, I discovered, is an unequivocal no. All of us aren’t in this field for the money. We know what we’re getting into. We’re here because we’re dreamers, because we know we can create a better society using what we’ve learned. My plan is to become a nonprofit director and young-adult novel writer, while others in my program are planning to become social workers, researchers, and teachers.

Sociology majors are dreamers: creating a better society by using what they learn.

Our altruistic ambitions are able to be realized by so many opportunities, revealed to us by the amazing professors in our department. Through initiatives like the Sociology Club and Social Justice Week, we’re bringing our socially conscious message to the rest of Arcadia and to those in the Philadelphia area. In a way, we are starting our careers early.

Sociology majors see the world as an issue we can fix, for now, one paper or concept at a time. But armed with our degrees, we will move from concept to reality, ready to make change happen for real.