Arcadia University Commons
My favorite spot on campus: the bridge and patio by University Commons.

I Did It, I’m Here, Now What?

Whenever I’m thrown into a new situation, I find it comforting to choose a place near me and claim it as my own. Whether I’m spending the summer in North Carolina, attending school in Central Pennsylvania, or switching to a school outside of Philadelphia, I make it a point to, literally, find my place on campus. When I first arrived at Arcadia, I knew I would have to search far and wide before I really found the one spot that would speak to me.

Request more info about transferring to Arcadia.

At my previous college in Central Pennsylvania, my place on campus was the fountain. Though it took me a while to figure that out. I remember spending the first few days of my freshman year walking from place to place, searching for my little home away from home on campus. I tried the gazebo, but was discouraged by the bees that infested it. I found a location behind one of the campus eateries, but as nice as it was, it smelled a little strange. Days passed until I realized one day that I was constantly by the fountain on the center of campus. Whether I was organizing my books, tying my shoes, drawing, reading, whatever it might be, I seemed to always be sitting on this fountain. That’s how the fountain became my place.

Now that I am in a new school, as a junior at that, the stakes have been raised. I am part of a class of students who have already established their go-to locations on campus.

Now that I am in a new school, as a junior at that, the stakes have been raised. I am part of a class of students who have already established their go-to locations on campus. Not only do I compete with those students, but I am also in competition with all of the freshmen struggling to find their favorite spots on campus, too. My search began as soon as I arrived on campus for my five-day orientation. Although each day was jam-packed with activities, I managed to make time to explore every inch of our campus.

The first place I tried out was the creek behind my apartment building in Oak Summit. Though I enjoyed the sounds of running water, and the creek was beautiful, I just couldn’t get comfortable. I tried sitting on the sidewalk nearby, leaning on the fence, sitting on the grass; nothing seemed to do it for me. During my orientation, I had a meeting for the Theater Department, which met in the Blackbox Theater. As I was walking to my meeting, I noticed the most fascinating thing I had seen in years. There was a plaque on a tree as a gift from one of a previous class, but unlike a normal metal plaque, the tree had actually begun to grow around this one. I was astounded by the beauty of this simple, yet quirky, spot that I had found. Sadly, however, the tree was directly outside of a dormitory and right next to a parking lot, making it much too noisy to be “my spot.”

Plaque

My favorite find on campus: a metal plaque that a tree has grown around it.

I ventured onward, finding all sorts of cool parts of campus over the next few days. There was a tree planted in memory of a woman named Brunilda Capele, which had a bouquet of flowers placed on it; monumental pieces of three-dimensional artwork, and, of course, various locations near our famous castle. But nothing that qualified as my ideal spot — private and open, the perfect place to be social and distant all at once.

But one day, while I was wandering around campus in the evening, I remembered a spot I had seen during my visit to campus back in April. I had come to Arcadia with a friend to audition for the theater department.

A bouquet of flowers, left as a memorial for Brunilda Cepele.

Recalling that moment, I quickly walked to the bridge, which was connected to an oddly triangular patio that had an entrance to the Commons. So many things spoke to me. I loved the weird triangle shape, the angle that overlooked the Little Theatre, the unique perspective of the sunset. There was every reason to love this spot.

But one day, while I was wandering around campus in the evening, I remembered a spot I had seen during my visit to campus back in April. I had come to Arcadia with a friend to audition for the theater department. Recalling that moment, I quickly walked to the bridge, which was connected to an oddly triangular patio that had an entrance to the Commons. So many things spoke to me. I loved the weird triangle shape, the angle that overlooked the Little Theatre, the unique perspective of the sunset. There was every reason to love this spot.

Now, a month into the semester, I am incredibly thankful for my spot. Though I fear the cold weather may cause my visits to slowly decline, this spot will always be there for me. Whether I need some place to cry, be alone, or to bring a friend to enjoy lunch, I found a place and it is mine.

View more of my campus finds here